The Shoah Wall of Names Memorial was ceremoniously opened in Vienna’s Ostarrichi Park on November 9, after many years of planning. The project was initiated by Kurt Yakov Tutter and the association that he founded for this purpose.
Kurt Y. Tutter was born in Vienna in 1930. He fled to Belgium with his family in 1939, where he and his younger sister, Rita, survived the Holocaust with the help of a Belgian family. In May 2000, Kurt Y. Tutter founded an initiative group for the project and finally, in 2006, the “Association for the erection of a Wall of Names memorial”.
The memorial in Vienna’s Ostarrichi Park in front of the Austrian National Bank comprises 160 stone walls engraved with the names of the approximately 65,000 Austrian Jewish children, women, and men murdered in the Holocaust. The National Fund and the City of Vienna are responsible for the preservation and management of the memorial. Over the past few decades, they have established several memorial sites, among them the Shoah Memorial on Vienna’s Judenplatz, and have supported many commemoration and remembrance initiatives.
- Film of the opening: https://youtu.be/EJJjieXqF-Q (English)
- Record of Austrian Holocaust victims by name: doew.at
- Factsheet on the Shoah Wall of Names Memorial (PDF) (German)
- https://www.sn.at/politik/innenpolitik/shoah-namensmauer-wurde-in-wien-feierlich-eroeffnet-112136197 (German)